Thursday, February 11, 2010

Time Away

Does your family have moments like mine when you've been together for extended periods of time and just need a break? Well, due to many factors, including the recent winter weather, Daddy being out of town, etc., the children and I needed time away from each other-in the most loving meaning of the phrase, of course. I wasn't sure how this was going to happen or how to orchestrate said reprieve, but yesterday nothing short of a miracle occurred-I am a woman of faith, and I literally mean a miracle or favor from God. An angel, in the form of my friend Jill Ridout, sent me a Facebook message to say she would keep ALL of my children OVERNIGHT so that I could attend a business meeting in Greensboro with Aron. If you've never had the pleasure of getting to know Jill, you must know that she has two children of her own, a two-year-old and a one-year-old. I was overwhelmed by the enormity of this offer, for, including my three children, she would be single-handedly caring for five children under the age of five.

Now, this is the important part, my message to myself and to others (especially mothers of small children)-When someone offers to help you with your precious children, remember two crucial things:

1. Make sure they're someone you trust (I for sure trust Jill Ridout with my kids).

AND

2. Don't make any negative assumptions about this type of offer like, "Oh, they're just being nice." or "I wouldn't want to impose." or "That's too much for any one person to do."

Please let people help you! In any situation where you have a need and God practically drops an answer to that prayer into your lap, don't act surprised or undeserving of that help. Accept it gladly. Allow yourself to be blessed and allow the helper the blessing that comes with service to another.

Jill was practicing the Biblical principle of sowing and reaping:

Galatians 6:9-10 says, "So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time. Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone, especially to our Christian brothers and sisters."

I truly believe that Jill will be blessed back whether it's through someone like me watching her children or through other means for another need that she has.

Thank you, Jill Ridout, for being a blessing to my family this week and giving us that "time apart" that we needed so much. Thank you for challenging me to not only pray for the needs of my family, but also for open eyes to see others' needs.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Glad you and Aron get some time away together. And I totally agree - if someone offers to help and you trust them, take them up on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that I made your blog!! Thank you so much for all the sweet up-lifts! This just made my day! I loved watching the kids, they were all soooo great! I think as long as you look at a 'big' situation like 5 kids under 5 with a positive mental attitude and don't let the facts overwhelm you, it's actually really easy, I mean they all entertained one another, I got some cleaning done, made dinner and breakfast the next morning, AND got a shower!!! Whoa! It was my pleasure to sow that seed b/c we are anticipating some serious need for childcare in the months to come and I know God will provide our need. I love you, Hall family! Hope to see you soon! And please know that anytime you need the time away, the offer is still out there, just ask! We are always happy to help!!!

    ReplyDelete