Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thankful for 30

(Warning: Extremely LONG post!)





One of the biggest temptations for me as I turn 30 has been to think, "I'm three decades old...what have I really accomplished? I've wasted so much time, I could have done more already, what I wouldn't give to be 25 again and have those five years back, etc." I don't feel old, but I feel a great sense of responsibility, a sense that I am, in fact, a grown-up woman, not a college girl. Taking control of my thoughts has become a battle for me, so I am winning over the negative thoughts by remembering things I am thankful for and proud of:

1. I have amazing parents that led me to the Lord when I was young and brought me up in a safe environment. More than anything, the thing I love best about them is their constant belief that I can do whatever I put my mind to.
2. I am extremely close to my siblings...there are so many things I could say about my memories of them, the things we've shared, how much we talk, how much we love each other. I could go on and on...
3. My spiritual foundation was built in Saline, MI at a small Assemblies of God church/school.
4. I had some of the most amazing winters as a child in Michigan.
5. I learned to dive, tube, and water ski at my Aunt Chrissy's lake house in Oxford, MI. Niece's Weekend always rocked!
6. I have an amazing extended family, mostly in Michigan, that loves getting together at any available opportunity. It doesn't matter how long we've been apart...it's always a good time.
7. I moved to North Carolina twenty one years ago. I will always love my roots, but I think I can claim to be a southerner...
8. I attended both private and public schools. I personally thrived in the smaller schooling atmosphere.
9. In elementary school, I met some of the coolest girls and guys at First Assembly of God in Raleigh, NC. Even though we're a bit spread out-Florida, Texas, Madagascar-we remain friends and stay in touch.
10. I achieved Missionette Honor Star status as a fifth grader.
11. I made it through middle school. ('nuf said.)
12. I made the JV and Varsity cheerleading squads in high school. (Most definitely some of my best memories from FCS and NRCA.)
13. My family was among the founding members of North Raleigh Christian Academy. I love that school and will always feel like I belong there.
14. One of my first jobs was an after-school counselor at Jeffrey's Grove Elementary School where I met Aron.
15. Aron and I started dating Summer 1997, right before my Sr. year.
16. I graduated from NRCA in 1998-it doesn't feel like it's been 12 years...
17. I went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received a degree in Elementary Education and found one of the coolest friends around, Emily Nimmo.
18. Aron and I got married June 16, 2001.
19. I gained four of the most amazing parents-in-law a girl could ask for. They have always been Aron's biggest fans, but I feel like they're cheering me on just the same.
20. I rededicated my life to the Lord in 2002.
21. I taught 2nd grade and 4th grade at North Raleigh Christian Academy. I loved working with the teachers who taught me and getting to know my students and their families. Those kids are turning 16 and 17 this year...CRAZY!
22. I discovered my love of scrapbooking.
23. 2005 was a BIG year-We found out we were pregnant and Aron and I did a lot of growing up-one of the hardest and absolute best years of my life.
24. I became a Mommy: John Palmer Hall was born October 7, 2005.
25. I made a HUGE career move: from teacher to stay-at-home mom.
26. I became Mommy a 2nd time: Elizabeth Leigh Hall was born December 21, 2006.
27. Aron and I felt led to help start True Life Church along side Mark and Darcy Carr. We've helped mainly with Family Ministries. (I can't believe it's been three years.)
28. I attempted to start my own business. Robyn's Nest Scrapboooking no longer exists, but I discovered that I have the "entrepreneurial spirit" and want to be my own boss.
29. In February 2009, Aron and I, with the help of a local business association, started our own Ecommerce business, Hall Team Consulting. Side Benefits: amazing opportunities and friends.
30. I became Mommy a third time: Abigail Rose Hall was born July 6, 2009-three children before I was 30, just like we said.



There are probably many more special people and memories I could include...but I have accomplished a lot. I'm just getting started. So, yes, I am thankful for 30.

3 comments:

  1. love this! Ellie looks JUST like you in first pic!!!! WOW! I'd say you have accomplished a whole heck of a lot!!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO impressed with what you've accomplished by 30- you are an amazing daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend. I am so very blessed to have you in my life. Happy birthday, my dear friend. Here is to many, many more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing, Becky! I have enjoyed many fun times with you in those 21 years in NC! I am honored to call you my friend. May you even better years ahead! Love ya, Sal

    ReplyDelete