Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wild at Heart


I just finished Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. This book was written for men about men by a man. Naturally the question arises...What are you doing reading this book?

I love this book for three reasons:
1. It gave me so much valuable perspective on the men in my life, most importantly, though, on my husband.
2. It really spells out the role of the woman in creating a sense of masculinity for a man. Chapter 10 is entitled "A Beauty to Rescue" and this was absolutely powerful in my life. One quote I'll share, just to give you a taste, is this:

"Just as every little boy is asking one question, every little girl is, as well. But her question isn't so much about her strength. No, the deep cry of a little girl's heart is am I lovely? Every woman needs to know that she is exquisite and exotic and chosen. This is core to her identity, the way she bears the image of God. Will you pursue me? Do you delight in me? Will you fight for me?" (p. 182)

3. From the quote above, you see that this book is powerfully effective in giving a guy some great perspective on the woman in his life.

My upper case "F" Favorite quote of this book is found on page 140...it gives me goose bumps:

"...if we reawaken that fierce quality in a man, hook it up to a higher purpose, release the warrior within, then the boy can grow up and become truly masculine."

I am so glad my husband loves to read, because, let me tell you, Wild at Heart just jumped to the top of his "Books to Read" list. (It just jumped to the top of my "Books to Read Again" list.)

No comments:

Post a Comment