Monday, March 1, 2010

Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?


When John Palmer turned two, his great grandmother, Mary Beth Hall, gave him How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jane Yolen. We started reading it to John Palmer and Ellie at bedtime every night and they, actually we all, fell in love. Come to find out, Jane Yolen's Dinosaur series is an ingenious way of introducing little ones to etiquette. Other title include: How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food, Play with Their Friends, Go to School, Clean their Room, etc.

A few weeks later, the Schoch family went on an amazing adventure to Lake Toxaway, North Carolina.

Aron brought Dinosaurs with us and read it to all of the cousins (only 6 at that time). Everyone loved it! Those are some of our favorite memories from that trip.



("They turn out the light." Click!)

Some time after we came home, that book was ripped to pieces by little hands. It was pretty sad until Aron and I realized that we had read it so many times, it was memorized. Yes, we could have easily bought another copy, but it became a new tradition to recite the story as the kids were climbing into their beds. Now, John Palmer and Ellie know it so well that when grandparents or babysitters tuck them in, they can say it too. It's just one of those lovely traditions that I want to remember always. (I do need to get a new copy, however, so I can read it to our own grandchildren one day.)

"Good night, good night, little dinosaur."
The End

3 comments:

  1. I will NEVER forget that amazing time together, and I will always remind my children of the time our entire family got together and had one amazing Schoch Team mountain trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! What a wonderful time we all had together! What a beautiful place to go - thanks to Aron and his friends for providing it! Hope we can do something like that again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I giggled when I read this! I remember babysitting the kiddos when it was just JP and Ellie... He asked 1,000 for the dinosaur story and I had NO CLUE. Finally, he just recited it for me, and he looked at me like, "geez...EVERYONE knows THAT story..."

    Such sweet babies :)

    ReplyDelete