Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Mommy's Paycheck

I used to have a full time career as an elementary school teacher. Twice a month, I received a paycheck for my services. It's been five years since I've received one. Don't get me wrong. I am NOT complaining.

Now,as a full time mommy, my paycheck consists of sorting through all the daily details to find the rewards of my work...the intangibles.

I get paid in:

smiles
hugs
kisses
tickles
giggles
snuggles
potty-trained children
three children napping simultaneously
an infant falling asleep against my chest
toddlers cleaning up toys
unprompted apologies for a recent tantrum
listening ears at story time
little voices singing a song I taught but didn't think they heard or cared
"Mommy, this food is yummy!"
"May I please have a..."
"Thank-you."
"I love you too, Mommy."
little hands reaching up to hold mine
twirling skirts
a husband who sees when I need a break and says, "Go out. I'll take care of everything."



The list could go on and on. My point is, even though I don't earn a "paycheck," I do get paid in ways that have more value than any dollar bill could ever give.

2 comments: