Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flea Market First-Timer

 
Posted by Picasa


Yesterday, on the first official day of Spring, I ventured out, at the invitation of a friend, and went to a flea market held weekly at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds. It was the first time going since moving here over twenty years ago. To begin, the weather was amazing. I think it was probably close to 80 degrees, clear blue skies, and no humidity - PERFECT!

My friend, Stephanie, who frequents this market and others around the country, knew all the best spots to stop. She's a fan of the furniture...she'll buy it, strip it, and refinish it. (Steph has an amazing sense of style in decor.) There was one booth in particular that we stopped at where most of the above pictures came from. I loved that one in particular because lots of things in my house are "country" in nature. As we went along, we noticed that I was drawn to all the little clocks...maybe when I actually have room to display a collection, it will be a bunch of cool old clocks. Another favorite at the market was an indoor booth selling baked goods. The vendor had made a thin layer cake with that homemade fudge frosting. We got some samples...it was amazing. (Note to self: Go back to that booth VERY SOON!)

I didn't actually make any purchases, but I got some ideas for the future. It was a great afternoon for this flea market first-timer!

Side note: The origin of "flea market" comes from fifteenth century Paris markets where secondhand, flea-infested merchandise was being sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment